Friday, September 26, 2014

Settling In

   Well, I've been here for six weeks now. The newness has worn off and the day-to-day routine has settled in. I'm not sure how I feel. Teaching is not an easy job. My first year of teaching is not an easy job. I don't know if it's made easier or more difficult teaching in a foreign country for my first year (have never taught my first year anywhere else!) :-) Some days I love it and some days I think that I can not do this for a career. But, doesn't everyone feel this way about their job?
   I have found that I am SO VERY THANKFUL for Facebook Messenger and FaceTime so I can talk to my husband, every day, for free. It's my lifeline. If one's not working the other one is and it saves my sanity daily. I also talk to Aubrey on FB Messenger. Skype doesn't work here at my apartment. I brought a Vonage phone with me but it is useless on most days. It's just difficult to talk to my parents because they don't have Messenger or FaceTime.
   Still struggling with the food. The beef here just doesn't taste like beef to me. I don't know what it tastes like but it's not the beef that I am used to. The chicken is pretty reliable. When I get home from a long day at school the last thing I feel like doing is cooking, though. So, on school days it's usually frozen food, sandwiches, or just some popcorn.
   I haven't found anything to do in Riyadh. It seems that there is just going to the mall or going out to eat. Neither one are overly appealing to me. I thought Riyadh would be more like the hustle and bustle of Cairo or Alexandria (Egypt). They're nothing alike.
   I only have a single entry visa right now so I can't go anywhere on my upcoming 11 day break for Hajj/Eid. Most of my fellow teachers are going out of the country for the break. I'm stuck. For the winter break, which is two-and-a-half weeks, I was originally planning on going to Egypt. #1. It's cheap. #2. The travel time is fast. #3. Bahaa's family, that I love, is there. BUT-after six weeks away (that's not much when I have a total of ten months here!) I have decided that I think I'm going to bite the bullet and pay the fortune and travel the zillion hours and go home for the break. I want to see my husband. I want to see my kids. I want to see my parents and family. And I want American food! If I already miss everyone after six weeks I'll probably REALLY be ready to visit home after 17 weeks! So, I think I will be purchasing my ticket after I get paid this coming week. I was planning to try to save my every penny that I made here in order to pay student loans but I think the $2000 will be worth it to see my family at the little less than half way point in my journey.
   Those are my ramblings for the day. Not much of an exciting blog entry but it's how I'm feeling this week. Three school days left then I'm on my 11 day break. Yay! Will probably do a couple days of school work during that time but for the most part I'll be off....and sleeping, and reading, and watching M*A*S*H (best investment I made before coming here!) :-)
   Good day, all!

1 comment:

  1. Assalamu Alaikum habibty.

    OMG...I have been in food depression since what seems like forever. I should post a selfie of what my face looks like when someone asks me here what do I want to eat. There is ONE place here that I find American food items on the menu: Hard Rock Cafe. Love, love, love the Cobb Salad with bleu cheese dressing. Just this past week my husband came in with some homemade ice cream from a Syrian vendor that I liked really well, Al-hamdulillah. But overall; although for the most part eating can be a source of comfort - here is simply a source of annoyance. I eat out of necessity; rarely enjoying much of anything. And it is now seven years I am here... AND without seeing any family; not even friends that have visited Egypt. I've been depressed since December 2013. My hope of having a way to visit might be as insurmountable as a pile of student debt loans... Really, my duas are with you habibty. So, so much. XOXO

    ReplyDelete