Sunday, August 17, 2014

The journey....

THE PREPARATION
 I guess the journey actually began a few months ago when I accepted the position in Saudi. However, the real journey started when I began packing all of my belongings to set-up a classroom and be gone from home for ten months. That started on Wednesday the 13th. Actually, it started prior to that. Wednesday is just when I put everything in the suitcases. I had been collecting the items that I needed for weeks ahead of time and had stacks all over the house. I'm sure my husband is glad to see that all of my junk is now gone. Hopefully he's not glad to see me gone, however!
THE JOURNEY
Friday the 15th we got up bright and early and went to the airport. Bahaa went inside with me and we got all of my luggage checked in with no problems. We then went to security. I gave my love one last (long) hug then it was off I went. The security line was short. I didn't have to have my hand swabbed for explosives, I didn't have to take my shoes off, I didn't have to take my computer out of it's bag, and I didn't get my ritual pat-down. I guess CVG wasn't in much of a security mood. I got to the other side of security and looked back to get one last look at Bahaa, who was still waiting to make sure I made it through OK. Then he was gone.
The flight from CVG to JFK was on-time and uneventful. The fun started when I got to JFK. I landed in terminal two. I had to obtain my boarding pass from Saudi Airlines at terminal one. So, I ask, "How do I get to terminal one?" "Oh, you go down this corridor, go out those doors, leave the airport, walk outside, and re-enter at terminal one." Really?? So, off I go. At least it wasn't raining or snowing outside. I get to terminal one and find that the Saudi counter is in section A. I (not-so-) happily trot to the four-sided counter A and walk all the way around and find no Saudi. So, I finally ask the Air France guy "Where is the Saudi counter?" "Oh, it's on the other side but it's Air Mexico right now. Later it will turn into Saudi Airlines." "OK, when is that?" I say. "I don't know. The Saudi office is right over there, go ask." So, off I trot again. Get to the Saudi office and I tell the guy "I need to get my boarding pass from Saudi Airlines. What should I do?" This genius says "Where are you going?" Thinking that "Saudi Arabia" is too obvious of an answer I say "Riyadh". He nods his head, seemingly satisfied with this answer, and tells me "The counter opens at 4:15. Go wait." Hmmm.....OK. I look at my watch. It's 2:00. So, what's a girl to do? I buy a Diet Coke (they had no Diet Pepsi!!!!!) and I went and waited. I was hungry but I figured all of the food was in the departure area of the airport so I patiently waited until I could go to that side. I got my boarding pass at about 5:00 then trotted on over to the FOREVER LONG security line.
As I am waiting in the security line I notice a wonderful Chinese restaurant on the upper level, above (and seemingly, past) security. I dream about spring rolls while I wait in line. This time was not so easy. Shoes off (on conveyer belt, NOT in tub) , computer out of bag, STRUGGLING to get my bangle bracelets off after my hands have swollen while on previous flight (while TSA agent is glaring at me). Go through whole-body scanner and get my pat-down. Re-collect all of my items and ask friendly looking TSA guy "Hey, how do I get to the upper-level to go to that lovely Chinese restaurant?" He smiles and says "Oh, you have to leave the secured area to go up there." Frown....."So, I would have to go through security again if I went?" "Yep." Uh, OK, thanks. (No Chinese for me!) Look for something to eat and all they have are $12 half turkey cold-cut sandwiches, $12 salads, or a Nathan's all-beef hot dog. So, with dreams of my spring rolls in the distant past I settle for my $4 hot dog. I then settle in at my boarding area.
We boarded on time and I even got a window seat. Nice people next to me. Very unhappy approximately one-year old baby directly behind me. He loved to sit on mommy's lap and kick the back of my seat. Praise God, all is well, and I am exhausted. So, while I am enjoying my vibrating seat back, I fall asleep. Then dear baby starts screaming. REALLY screaming. Instead of getting frustrated I decided to pray for baby and mommy. This trip is difficult for adults; I can't imagine it for infants and mommies. I actually spend the entire flight between dozing and prayer. When baby was quiet I would sleep. When baby was screaming I would pray. I prayed for every single person I know. I prayed for myself, I prayed for my fellow Muslims, I prayed for my family, I prayed for my friends, I prayed for my old high school classmates. I just prayed. And it was so peaceful. Even when we hit heavy turbulence I continued to pray. Sleep and pray....that's the prescription for a peaceful flight.
ARRIVAL
I arrived in Saudi to a balmy 44 degree Celsius temperature (that 111 degrees Fahrenheit for us Americans). Surprisingly, it didn't feel as hot as Dallas so I was happy! After being nearly stampeded by the "friendly" Saudis while trying to collect my luggage (they would NOT let me near the luggage carousel!) I finally got my luggage collected (after everyone else had theirs and had finally moved on!) I had to take my luggage to a security scanner to be scanned but that was uneventful heavy lifting. Out I go! The lady from the school was waiting for me with the driver.Everything was quickly loaded in the car and I was whisked off to my villa (townhouse).
I MADE IT TO SAUDI!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Sarah I can't wait to read more of your adventures in Saudi! Exciting times for you. I just finished my masters program in ESL and just waiting for the right time to make the treck overseas....I can't wait to read more ...Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamu Alaikum habibty.

    I am so happy you arrived safely. I hope the villah is all you could imagine.

    Your tale of the retrieving your luggage at the carousel reminded me of my experiences in Saudi Arabia. At home we are accustomed to people patiently standing to wait their turns and to actually standing in lines and being respective of one another's personal space. If you are going to survive in Saudi habibty, you're going to have to take the leap and cast your good manners aside and just jump in with the rest of the herd, space issues aside, and forge your way through them or you will forever be the last one for everything. I learned quickly to go with the flow. I remember sitting back one time at a bank sitting in a chair against the wall patiently waiting for the line to move and watching in mixed dismay and amusement while all of these niqab clad women pushed their way through the line. Even at the teller window they were pushing on either side of the sister whose actual turn it was, pressing their paperwork through the teller's window and trying to speak to her while she tried to focus on the client in front of her. Why, oh why, oh why there is not a security person to manage this and make these women behave like civilized human beings, I'll never know. But you have to toughen up and use those extended elbows, a tough shoulder or your full body even to survive in most instances. Don't be shy about it; unless you don't mind being last or late. ;-)

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete